POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : isosurf.cpp / inline & gcc : Re: isosurf.cpp / inline & gcc Server Time
27 Sep 2024 01:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isosurf.cpp / inline & gcc
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 20 Mar 2003 13:51:55
Message: <3e7a0dca@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> Indeed, some compilers cannot inline such functions for odd reasons.
> Apart from a workaround, I would suggest to send a feature request to the
> compiler maker because in the end "inline" is just a guide and not a
> requirement for the compiler to make the function inline.

WAIT. Because it seems you [Mael] are using an outdated version of gcc.

Try using gcc-3.2:

g++ -V3.2.2 ...blahblah... -W -Wall -Winline -c -o isosurf.o isosurf.cpp
isosurf.cpp: In function `int All_IsoSurface_Intersections(OBJECT*, RAY*,
ISTACK*)':
isosurf.cpp:147: warning: unused variable `int i'
isosurf.cpp:149: warning: unused variable `int begin'
isosurf.cpp:149: warning: unused variable `int end'
/usr/include/c++/3.2.2/bits/stl_algobase.h: At top level:
config.h:235: warning: `uid_t euid' defined but not used

For any function which cannot be inlined, you get a warning when
you use -Winline. With gcc-2.95, I get tons of warnings. But with
gcc-3.2 I've never seen one (in a whole lot of code from me).

So, please upgrade. gcc-3.2 produces faster POVRay-code anyways.
(Or, complain about my ignorance in case I am wrong at this issue.)

Wolfgang